Thursday, September 2, 2010

Memoir: You Had Me At Woof by Julie Klam

This was a fun, short read about a woman who got a dog, a Boston Terrier named Otto and fell in love.. From that day on, she always had a Boston or two in her little NY apartment as she got more involved in Boston rescue and became a foster dog mom.

The woman is Julie Klam and this is her memoir. And what a memoir! I laughed so hard (more than once) that people at work (where I was reading on break and lunch) asked me what I was reading.. I think I snorted during the Beatrice wearing a diaper episode and almost wet my pants when I got to the part about Mr. Man and his extreme diarrhea walking down the street.

There was some sad stuff about people getting dogs who shouldn't have dogs, abandoned dogs, dogs hit by cars, and dogs being fed Doritos and ice cream (I don't mean Frosty Paws) and chinese take out (No! No! No!)

I frowned at a few things the author did (actually only one thing.. bringing a dog with kennel cough into her home and risking her own dog's health) but it's her memoir and I'm judging the book, not her. As books and memoirs go, I loved it.

Favorite quote: "I know I'd rather have any amount of time with a dog I love and suffer the mourning than not have the time at all."

I got this ARC from my friend, Susan. It being an arc, the above quote may be changed or different in final publication.





2 comments:

  1. I really loved this book too and recommend it to any animal lovers. Nice review, Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good review Tara. I like the idea of a lot of humor. Sometimes I think laughter is the best thing for what ails one.

    ReplyDelete