Friday, December 3, 2010

The Athena Project by Brad Thor


What an exciting read!  I'd love to see this made into a movie.  It's full of action, incredible gadgets, parajumping, high speed chases by boat and motorcycle, and even World War II stuff.  (I'm not sure if the WWII stuff is true.  I doubt it, but it was interesting nonetheless to me, a big fan of books involving that time period.)

But what really makes this book good is the four women the book focuses on.  Alex, Gretchen, Megan, and Julie are a part of a special anti terroism unit consisting of just women: them.  They are the Athena Project.  These chicks can go from evening dresses to night vision goggles in no time.  They put pliers to a guy's balls to get him to talk.  They jump from airplanes and onto skyscrapers and all in an attempt to track down the whereabouts of a top secret project that is in the wrong hands.  The fate of the United States is their shoulders.  If they can't track down the terrorists and the missing, very deadly World War II experiement, it could very well be used against the United States.

They aren't the only ones trying to find it, however.  There are some unsavory spies getting their agents into some top goverment organizations in an attempt to track down the experiment as well.  Who will get to it first?

My only complaint:  Too many characters at times.  I had to flip back in the book every now and then in order to remember which guy so and so was and what he did earlier in the book.  I kept getting them mixed up.  I kept getting the women mixed up too and it didn't help matters that at times the women were referred to by their first names and at other times by their last names.  I couldn't keep them all straight.  Thus, four stars.  However, this little annoyance will not prevent me from reading the second in this new series.

I got this book from the publisher via Shelf Awareness. 



2 comments:

  1. Nice review! This one sounds like a great, fun read - I'm putting it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete