Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen



ScarletThe story of Robin Hood has been done over and over again, but never like this. This is not only from a female POV, but the heroine of the tale isn't a pretty fox who play crocquet on the lawn,  nor is it a damsel in distress waiting in a castle. There are those, just not the heroine. 

This heroine is a part of Robin's gang and often mistaken for the Hood himself when she wears a hood. (She pretends to be a boy.) He's good with a bow and arrow. She's a master with knives, and she uses them as she robs people in order to get tax money for the poor and food to feed them. See, the sheriff is taxing people so highly, they can't pay it, and if they can't pay, they not only go hungry, but their children get hung one by one till the tax is paid... Their homes are being burned... 


Loved how tough this chick is.


"I turned to see three men on  Rob, and I felt the sting of insult. Honestly, I were just as much a threat as him. Why did I only get one?"


None of this.. No, ma'am.
"Never would I have a man saying what or who were best for me, and that were all there were to it."


Notice the "weres?" No, I didn't mis type. The heroine speaks and narrates throughout the entire novel in that manner. She never uses the word "was." This was a minor irritation that I soon was able to ignore. At first, it was a distraction.


In between robbing people and trying to avoid the clutches of a foul thief taker who has her on his radar for some interesting reasons, Scarlet is torn between two men. Both love her, but show it in different ways. She's confused. Meanwhile, her past is catching up with her, and it could lead to the downfall of all her and the Hood's crew have been working for.


My major quibble is I got confused often. Some things they crew did didn't make sense. I mean, okay, in once scene, if the guy was able to help Scarlet get out, why didn't he take Robin too? Why go back? Some things here and there just had me scratching my head. And the ending.. was NOT satisfying. It left me feeling, "What??? Your problems aren't over at all..." Ack! Despite the terrible ending, I really enjoyed the book and I give it four stars.


Favorite moment: "I stopped running and took a deep gulp of air. Then I spat out every foul curse word I'd ever learned, even knowing I'd have to confess them all on Sunday. Rob looked a little shocked. "Don't you look at me like that," I snapped at him. "Just because I can't trim a beard don't mean I can't swear."


LOL moment: "I wouldn't never bathe with him or pass water when he were near. He got suspicious quick. Seems real boys are awfully eager to parade their bits around."


I got this from netgalley.


1 comment:

  1. Scarlet is a fast-paced novel that pulls you in right away and makes you feel for the characters. It's a fantastic twist on the Robin Hood tale and I'm glad there will be more to come. I can't wait to see where Scarlet, Robin, John and the rest of the boys go next and who they will face.

    ReplyDelete