Saturday, September 28, 2013

Tip From Tara: Don't Put Yourself First



Today I want to talk about me, you, and I.

Are you conveying a tone of selfishness in your writing? Are you putting yourself first?

What's wrong with the following sentences?

Me and James went to the park.
She offered to help me and my children.
He said he'd take my children and I to the park.

One of the most common errors in writing is PUTTING YOURSELF FIRST.

If I put ME before YOU, it's not only a sign of selfishness--I mean, I am putting myself before ya'll--but it's wrong. 

First lesson here: Quit putting yourself first. Put others first.

The correct way to say the sentences above:

James and I went to the park.
She offered to help my children and me.
He said he'd take my children and me to the park.

Why is it James and I went to the park and not James and me or me and James?

First of all, it's correct, polite, and unselfish, to put James before myself. That's one easy way to remember it... Put others first. 

Secondly, if we were to remove James from the equation, you'd be left with either: me went to the park or I went to the park.

I think you can see the reasoning there. Me went to the park does not work. So when in doubt about me or I, take the other person out and see what it says then.

The same goes for sentence three:

Incorrect: He said he'd take my children and I to the park.
Correct: He said he'd take my children and me to the park.

It would sound really funny to say, He said he'd take I to the park.

And any good parent would always put their children first, right? 

Incorrect: She offered to help me and my children.
Correct: She offered to help my children and me.

Grammar-wise, just like in real life, remember not to put yourself first. Don't be a selfish person.

No comments:

Post a Comment