Friday, April 11, 2014

A Captain for Laura Rose by Stephanie Grace Whitson

A Captain for Laura RoseI was drawn to this novel because it's about a woman trying to obtain her riverboat captain's license in a time (just post American Civil War) when women did NOT navigate the river waters on their own. Well, at all. Except for Laura, the heroine, whose father and brother taught her all they knew before they crossed the rainbow bridge, so to speak.

First of all, I was fully aware this was a Christian-themed novel and I was fine with that, as I haven't found majority of the Christian novels very preachy lately. Normally, they are just wonderful, spunky heroines facing and overcoming obstacles with a clean romance on the side. This one, however, was a tad preachy, and I found the message hard to discern as I didn't feel the judgmental, overly pious, close-minded characters to be very good examples of what a Christian should be.

Maybe that was the point.

But while I enjoyed Laura's story and parts and reading about all the different problems a steamboat faced as it went up and down the rivers--scarcity of wood, sandbars...I could totally and completely have done without Fiona and Adela. I loathed both characters and while the theme of not assuming the worst and being quick to judge was clear, I didn't feel their bits added enough. Laura's realizing what she was doing was strong; these two horrid women, no.

Had the book eliminated them completely, I'd have been a happy camper. Fiona...wow. You don't get more close-minded and uptight than her and Adela is just a spoiled brat who I can't say redeemed herself in my eyes really. She's a user.

Again, last time I'll say it: I hated Fiona and Adela and all their scenes and this ruined half the story for me.

I also grew tired of the anti-drinking theme. Frankly, I'm a firm believer that if a man or woman works hard all week long, they are entitled to get--excuse me--sh*t faced here and there!!! The book made it seem like anyone who dares to enter a saloon is a bad seed and sinful. I wanted to tell them to get over themselves and, "I'd like to see you not have a drink or two after dealing with this, this, and that."

But I did like Laura and her struggle to get her pilot's license and get up and down the river and honor her family. I really did. We could learn a thing or two from her, us women. To stand up for what we want in the face of adversity and discrimination. WE CAN DO IT.

Favorite LOL moment:

He scowled at her. "Unless, of course, you have another addendum you'd like added? Tea and crumpets served mid-examination, perhaps?

"Oh, no, sir," Laura said, as she rose from her chair. "It's all very satisfactory. I've never cared for tea and crumpets, anyway."

I received this via Netgalley.





1 comment:

  1. I agree with your opinion of the book, though you and I come from opposite ends of the pole. And I too loved the 'tea and crumpets' line! Just jumped from the page.

    ReplyDelete