Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Light Mystery, Heavy Laughs in Paw and Order by Diane Kelly

Paw and Order (K9, #2)When I'd completed my "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" and returned my arm to my side, Brigit lifted her head and licked the remaining drops of holy water from my fingertips. I half expected a heavenly glow to erupt from her anus.

I was very excited about this, the second book in this series following a tough woman cop and her German Shepherd sidekick. Though the mystery was really tame and not very climatic, the humor is just fabulous and I do love a good chuckle.

The first one was more exciting, to be honest, as it followed this crazy "tunabomber" and it made me laugh out loud more. This one follows this slightly OTT twenty-one-year-old girl--come to think of it, from what I've seen of the younger generation, maybe this chick isn't so OTT after all...LOL--who feels she entitled to all the finer things in life and doesn't want to work for any of it. She wants to steal it. And she chooses the rodeo for her playground, which happens to be where Megan and Brigit the dog are patrolling.

I enjoyed the funny narrative, the thoughts everyone has, especially Brigit's, but even the bad girl's. Every single page had me smiling or chuckling or relating to some funny remark or thought.

I do dislike one thing. I hated knowing who the bad "guy" was. I like mysteries that force me to think about how it could be. Book one had it down pat. Even though it went into the perp's mind, we didn't know who the perp was, who Megan was associating with or questioning that could be the perp. In this book, Megan doesn't even run into the perp until the end and we, the readers, know it all along. The lack of connection between Megan and the perp makes for a lackluster mystery. There really is no mystery.

And some things were just off. Even Texas does background checks when you buy a gun.

While I didn't enjoy this as much as the first, I did enjoy it and plan to read book three. I can't wait to see if Megan makes detective and I hope we, the readers, go along for the ride. Dog lovers, this is one series you won't want to miss. For romance fans, there's also a very mild romance.

I received this via Netgalley.


No comments:

Post a Comment