Thursday, June 11, 2015

O'Brien's Desk (Historical Legal mystery #1) by Ona Russell

O'Brien's DeskI think this is a great idea for a series. A woman legal aid pre WWII solving cases. Think Law & Order but historical. However, I think I would have enjoyed this story better had it been a case of interest to me. A drug-addicted male judge doesn't interest me much.

I was more interested in Sarah herself. Fascinating woman but the book didn't get as deeply into detail about her and her past as I would have liked.

As for the writing style itself, it's good but at times contains too many info dumps, about the judge, his past, everyone else's history. I felt what could be an exciting story began to drag because of this. But I'm still eager to give books two and three a go. I figure they'll be more enjoyable because I will already know the characters, their histories, and perhaps they'll get more into the heroine herself.

Thanks to the author for sending me a copy of this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment