Sunday, April 8, 2012

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)A very exciting read, if a bit long -winded. Anything over four hundred pages starts to lose my attention in the middle. I didn't realize it was so long when I first picked it up.
You've got a girl with special skills she's not really aware of...she isn't affected by the plague, heals quickly, and her family and village are terrified of her. She's death's daughter..death being Saint Mortain. She escapes from an abusive father and unwanted marriage and ends up in a nunnery of killer nuns.

"If you choose to stay, you will be trained in His arts. You will learn more ways to kill a man than you imagined possible. We will train you in stealth and cunning and all manner of skills that will ensure no man is ever again a threat to you."

Sign me up!

From the nunnery, she goes on to "work a case" so to speak alongside a handsome duke's bastard. Together, they are embroiled in a political mess involving the kingdom, the threat from Franch, who the duchess is to wed... Men die, there are attacks on her and her companion's lives... here is where it started to drag for me. As someone who is tudored out and just tired of ye olde court politics, my attention started waning. But comments like this one kept it lively:

"I have been in Guerande three days. As urgently as the abbess wanted me here, I would think there should be someone who needed killing by now."

LOL. And the heroine does some intriguing killing...from the pearls in her hair net to other ways... and did I mention there is budding romance and self-doubts? Can you really believe all you are taught?

I got this from netgalley.


No comments:

Post a Comment