Thursday, May 21, 2015

Tiffany Girl by Deeanne Gist

Tiffany GirlI was really looking forward to this title. I am a huge fan of Gist. But I'm sorry to say I found it rather lacking, especially compared to It Happened at the Fair and Fair Play.

One, it actually sort of bored me. So the heroine declares herself a New Woman and wants to work. That's cool. Awesome. Go for it, girl. But...and this will seem an odd complaint...she's so average. I don't want to read about superheroines, like Agent Carter, fighting a man atop a moving vehicle without breaking a nail. That's ridiculous and unbelievable. But neither do I care to spend four days immersing myself in the life of a dull, average person, and except for some of the situations the heroine finds herself in--the public transportation problem, the way men treat the working women, the art gallery fiasco--there was nothing interesting about her. She isn't even good at things she does. Rather than the go-getter heroine I was expecting, this girl is first and only Tiffany girl let go, for crying out loud.

Even worse, most of the story focused on the hero, who was really very unlikable.

And the ending was unsatisfactory in this story, as irritating really as the column heroine, Marylee...I'm not going to go into detail.

However, there was nothing Christian about this story, for those of you who tend to stay away from the "preachy" books, no worries here. It's just a clean read.

I did appreciate some of the things brought up within the pages though, such as, "Marylee will not be sitting around doing nothing. She'll be scrubbing, mopping, polishing, cooking, toting, and raising and the children. I daresay her photography would be much less demanding and a great deal more enjoyable."

And yet, after all her bluster about being a New Woman...eh.

I received this via Netgalley.





No comments:

Post a Comment