Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Hench Woman's Handbook by Tara O'Donnell

The Hench Woman's HandbookI don't read comics... so this was something very new for me. It's not a comic, but it's about a Super Villain's sidekick/woman.. a hench woman. By super villain, I mean like Lex Luthor or the Joker or the Penguin...

There are 5 rules to being a proper hench woman and Marge tells a young girl in black all about each rule. Each rule is accompanied by a story, an experience in the hench woman's life with Master Class, a villain. There's alien bugs, kidnappings, and an irritating woman named Bonnie aka Bon Bon... and in the end, a story of revenge.


Marge is a strong woman, no doubt of that!! My favorite part was the tale about Master Class wooing her back to his side not with a diamond, but with a bomb!


I have one major quibble, however: I thought the bar scene and Marge telling the girl in black her story was a great idea.. but the stories Marge told, I would have preferred to experience like a novel rather than a bar narrative. Maybe Marge could've got a faraway look in her eye and suddenly the reader could be TRANSPORTED back so they could experience the tale for themselves. Something like that.. less telling, more experiencing.


The good stuff outweighs the bad and here are my favorite quotes:


-I rose up and looked him right in the eye. "If you ever want me, just take me. Throw me over your shoulder or have your driver do it, then lock me in the trunk and hold me prisoner until I give in to your demands."


"I've got a big mouth and I'm not afraid to use it. Plus, I have no problem with getting into someone's face if the situation calls for it in in my opinion."


"My Grandma Mavis may have been a bitch on wheels but thanks to her, I know how to make my own clothes and clean blood stains out of anything."


Wow! Three stars and this was a free ebook on smashwords. And I gotta add, is this not a cooler than all get out cover?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked the cover art as well-my sister Stephanie was kind enough to create it just for me. She's a cartoonist and graphic illustrator who has a action adventure web comic called Perfect Agent(written by Greg Carter).

    As for your suggestion regarding Marge going into flashback mode instead of telling her stories in real time,that's a cool concept. Perhaps if I ever expand this novella into a full fledged novel,I might try that out.

    Really appreciate the review and love it that you have favorite lines from it!

    ReplyDelete