Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths by Pat Brown

The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths


How many of you work with psychopaths?????

While reading this book, I found myself eyeing my co workers and checking the psychopath trait checklist. It's unbelievable how many of them are running around! In this book, Pat Brown, self trained profiler talks about psychopaths, their traits, and what makes some of them cross the line to become serial killers. Part one is about a murder that hit too close to home and how it inspired her to educate herself and become a profiler.

Part two talks about eleven different cases she was called in on and has profiled. I want to make one thing clear here.. Pat brown is not an FBI agent running around with a 9mm and interrogating criminals in cement interrogation rooms. She is a housewife (and sign language interpreter) that has spent numerous years educating herself and upon being called in by the victim's families, analyzes the facts and offers her opinion. All eleven cases conclude with who Pat Brown thinks did it and why she came to that conclusion. Most of them have never been arrested. Most of the cases are still unconcluded. (I'm shocked at how poorly our criminal justice system is doing.) However, I enjoyed this book and the insight it offers into psychopaths, serial killers, and possibly, the very people around us everyday. It's not for the squeamish as there are very descriptive crime scenes and MOs.

One minor complaint: The author tends to repeat the facts of a case over and over. This did not detract from overall enjoyment of the book tho.

I bought this book on Amazon.




2 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of book! I will have to add it to my read list. I took a class on "Murder" at the UW. The prof. helped in the Green River Killer case. The courses main focus was on serial killers. I remember him looking at the packed auditorium and saying, "I don't know what is more disturbing, a class titled Murder, or the fact that 600 students signed up for it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. He makes a good point.. We are all obsessed with murder and gore and serial killer stories. Perhaps the entire human race is populated with psychopaths. LOL

    ReplyDelete