Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Run Rabbit Run by Kate Johnson

Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)"A car gets blown up, and it's either going to Al Queda or Sophie Green."


I haven't read the first four books of this series, but when Choc Lit released the fifth one, this one, I figured in order for them to release a book they didn't have the first four for, that it would be able to stand alone, and I can't resist a woman spy.

It can stand alone. Even though some characters were in the book that obviously had run ins and experiences with Sophie in previous books, I never found myself confused. 


Sophie is a woman spy...gone rogue and not by choice. She's been framed for murder. So she goes on the lam, a hot Jack in tow (Savvy?) and though at first they're at each other throats and pointing fingers, they end attracted to each other. Car bombs and bullets tend to draw people together, you know?


Exploding cars, fake passports, bugged phones, traces, debates on what agent friend to trust, grand theft, a nine year old genius, larceny, knocking out cab drivers...there's no end to the excitement. Or the humor. The best thing about this book is the humor. I laughed out loud many times.


"Well, we could buy her dinner," I suggested. "Or I could introduce her to to my associate, Mr. SIG-Sauer."


Luke: Is it anything in particular I've done?


His secretary: Begins with Sophie. Ends with Green.


Luke: I haven't done her in a week.


Who is Luke? That's the good part. They are rarely together in this book as his girlfriend, Sophie is on the run, but the love between the two is great. Sophie and Luke alternate between the book. Luke's privacy is being violated left and right and he's worried to death about the woman he loves. I actually felt sorrier for Luke than Sophie! And Sophie was getting shot at and threatened...more than Luke.


Quibbles: At times I didn't like Sophie. She seems to need a man a lot. Though in all fairness, I think many of us would if we were being framed for murder and going through all this stuff, and Sophie never claims to be perfect. That's a point in her favor, and it makes her real. And there were times I felt the book was getting repetitive. Plane hopping, phone calls, find a hotel, plane hopping again... However, I don't feel this could have been avoided given the story line.


"It's all right for girls in films to rush around all over the place without knocking themselves out, but I believe that if God intended for me to be a runner, He wouldn't have given me a double D."


Conclusion: funny, fast paced, and keeps you guessing (as well as laughing.)  I received this from the publisher.




No comments:

Post a Comment