Monday, October 11, 2010

Murder at the Arlington by Kathleen Kaska

Murder at the Arlington

This is the first in a historical mystery series taking place in the 1950s following spunky Sydney, girl reporter as she travels to different historical hotels.  This one finds her at the Arlington (est 1924) in Rock Springs, Arksansas.

Sydney thinks she is just doing a travel story.  Not so!! Upon checking into the historical hotel, rather than immediately getting a mineral bath and massage (that comes later) she finds a dead body in her bathtub.  Of course, Sydney is very nosy.  She is a reporter.. and a really sassy one I would like to add.  I loved her.  She is witty, funny, sarcastic, and dresses in a suit and fedora complete with a fake red mustache when she needs to. 

Gossipy housekeepers, gangsters, a sexy detective, a suspicous hotel manager, and her cousin Ruth keep Sydney on her toes as four dead bodies pile up at the Arlington.  There are truck chases, hooch causing forest fires, and Sydney is abducted in her pajamas as she visits numerous tourist spots in Hot Springs.  She visits the Oaklawn Race Track, gets shot at on Music Mountain, falls off a bridge over the Ouachita River, and just about everyday, goes to the famous Bathhouse Row. 



I thought it was great.  It was a whodunit and I didn't know whodunit till I had ten percent of the novel left.  The heroine is my kind of gal, full of fun and spunk and constantly sneaking out from under "house arrest."  I could have done without Grady and his lame jokes though.  They didn't add to the story in any way.

Favorite quote:  "I almost got married once, but I decided that sharing my money wouldn't be much fun."

I bought this book on Amazon kindle.







2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun premise for a series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the wonderful review, Tara! I love your blog site.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete